Edward VII Nautical School
The King Edward VII Nautical School, founded in 1902, was a school for
marine officers and it was located in the British Sailors' Society's
Residential Hostel for Marine Officers. That was in East India Dock Road
(which is a continuation of Commercial Road) and it may have been at the
junction with West India Dock Road.
The Directors of the Society acted as the first governing body of the
School, which was based over a seamen's hostel at 680 Commercial Road,
Stepney, London. In 1926 the school became a recognised school of
technical instruction aided by the London County Council (LCC). In 1949 the LCC implemented a further
education development plan for nautical education. Under this scheme,
senior courses would be established at Sir John Cass College, while junior
courses would be run at the King Edward VII School (and later at a new
college at Greenhithe). Further rationalisation occurred in the 1960s when
the Department of Navigation of Sir John Cass College merged with the King
Edward VII Nautical College in 1969 and moved to a new building at Tower
The hostel was known as 'Jack's Palace'.
King Edward VII Hall
The King Edward VII Hall was a hall of residence, or hostel, for students
at the Nautical School and they were bussed across town each day. The Hall
was in Cromwell Road, at its junction with Gloucester Road.
The Head Office of the British Sailors' Society and its main hostel for
seamen in London was at 680 Commercial Road and was known as
Sailors' Palace. It was later converted into flats.