Evan Parry 


Evan ParryIt is with deep regret that I feel I must inform you that Evan (Taff) Parry slipped his moorings bound for Fiddlers Green on Tuesday afternoon 10th June 2003. He leaves behind his loving wife, Kathleen, 5 children including myself (the eldest), and many Grand and Great grandchildren, all who will miss him dearly.

Evan was born in Holyhead in 1921 and lost both of his parents at a very early age and was brought up by his Grandmother. At the age of 13 years he took and passed the entrance exam to the Prince of Wales Nautical Training School at Limehouse, and, upon passing out at Limehouse, joined his first ship, the MV Georgic of the White Star Line, on Christmas eve, and sailed on her to the Caribbean. On his return to the UK he signed on the SS Piako, the last coal burner of the New Zealand and Federal Company, and sailed from Glasgow via the Cape of Good Hope to New Zealand, which took 53 days, and returned via Cape horn and eventually came to Falmouth on her where she was laid up in the River Fal. Because all of his family were dead and not having anywhere to go, the Captain appointed him watchman and left him in charge while the crew went on shore leave.

Some time into his watchman's job he was told that the UK and Germany were at war and very soon a crew arrived and they took the vessel down river into Falmouth Docks where she was fitted with a 4.7 surface gun mounted on the poop deck. Upon getting his feet on dry land he wasted no time in courting my mother, who ran the Post Office near the Docks gates.

After time spent on the Atlantic Convoys, during which time the Piakko was torpedoed off the West Coast of Africa, my father signed on the Faraday, the largest cable layer in the world, and two days before sailing on her married my mother.

Shortly after sailing on the Faraday she was attacked and sunk by enemy aircraft in the entrance to the Bristol Channel. My Father's luck held out again when he was blown out of the ship and found himself floating in the water before being picked up by a ships lifeboat. He made his way back to Falmouth, in borrowed cloths, and walked in the front gate of his home just as the telegram boy was delivering to my mother notification that he was lost at sea! After this my father returned to sea with the Port Line and then Elder Dempster Line, voyaging across the North Atlantic, Mediterranean, the Indian Ocean and the Pacific. At one stage he was in the Suez Canel and witnessed the bombing of his first ship, the Georgic.

In 1943 the joined the War Department Fleet and served with them until 1958 when he began employment at Falmouth Docks and eventually ended up in charge of the Fire Department there.

He never lost his interest in the sea and, upon his retirement, continued to "Keep an eye on the Harbour" from his home in Basset Street, which has one of the best views of the harbour in Falmouth. Though he might have sailed on his last journey I have no doubt that he is, right now, in deep discussion with his friends and comrades that went before him, as to which was the best shipping line, the best ships and the demise of what was once the best seafaring Nation in the World.

Royston Parry

(His eldest son)
On behave of all of his family


Sincere condolences to wife Kathleen and family of Evan (Taff) Parry. With grateful thanks to him for service to his country in it's hour of need.
Bon Voyage.       Elwyn Owen